Oct 22, 2008

BRING OUT THE GIMP!

Greetings, gosh it's been awhile eh? Been plugging away at Assault on the Lightless Depths for what seems like years now. As of last night, I have just shy of 10,000 words (after some brutal editing) and something useful is beginning to emerge.




I include, for your pleasure, a .JPG image of a map that started out as a hand drawn sketch, was scanned as high res, and then battered by my GIMP. That being the free GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's a bit friendlier than photoshop (IMO) and has the advantage of not costing the same as a down payment on my truck.



As this is a public project, please feel free to use this for anything your little heart desires. I plan on beating it some more, and spraypainting its quivering, bruised body with color at some point. Until then: A nifty little B&W map that could fit into ANY fantasy game out there. Enjoy!


Oh! and a funny or two for those so inclined.






















4 comments:

wyattsalazar said...

I have a GIMP port on the Mac and also the X-Window System (X11?) version of GIMP (for no particular reason). I have to agree that it's much friendlier (and leaner) than photoshop. Nice map, by the way.

jw said...

I have some hex map brushes for GIMP if you want to make you map in the style of late 80s/early 90s TSR games. (Particularly the Voyage of the Princess Ark maps in Dragon)
http://inkwellideas.com/?page_id=9

Donny_the_Dm said...

@Wyatt - Thank you :) It's my first, only about 50 or so to go eh?

@JW - Downloaded, thank you. The princess ark...oh sweet nostalgia. I remember following the voyage when I first started reading Dragon. Heldannic knights, Rakastas, Flying ships, Cynnibar...what a cool setting. Thank you!

TheLemming said...

Hey Donnie,
Gimp's really a great choice - but for map-making and stuff I would rather go for a vector-program - try inkscape - it's the pendant to Adobe Illustrator, you can easily (really easily) do maps and stuff on that one!