Aug 1, 2008

Tales from behind the woodshed...part I

As I tend to occasionally allow my mouth tho gain control of the rest of my faculties, I decided to start a new ongiong series. I thought of "Eating Crow" but it was a bit too...something. Now, for those of you who don't follow the comments on these posts, a recap:
Graham, one of those on my ever growing blogroll of coolness - http://criticalanklebites.com/
challenged my entrenched thinking yesterday. While I still feel that 3rd edition's multiclassing was more versatile, It appears to be capable of building the types of unique and specialized characters I prefer to play, namely a Prestige class type of build.
Time will tell if he will EVER update his site (looking forward to the PFRPG campaign update). It will also be interesting to see what happens when the PHBII and other supplements are finally released, and round out the core classes. While I still disagree that taking a "rogue" skill and a couple of feats makes you a rogue, that is a whole can of worms for another day.
So in appreciation to graham for mending my evil and myopic ways, here you go:
GRAHAM! YOU

ME!


Your Kung-Fu is strong sir, please feel free to correct me if I ever say something stupid again : )


I'm feeling lazy, and need to get some work done, so enjoy a selection of my favorite giggle inducers while waiting for my next post.


Yeah...I like motivationals...

4 comments:

Graham|ve4grm said...

Oh, don't get me wrong. 3e's multiclassing is indeed more versatile.

My point was mainly that after a certain point of versatility, you stop adding good options to the mix.

I mean, if I had 100 types of ham for a sandwich, and I could put any 10 of them together for a sandwich of awesomeness, that'd be great and would result in a lot of different-tasting sandwiches.

If I had 1000 types of ham, though, it wouldn't result in significantly more tastes of ham sandwich. Each of those additional 900 flavours of ham is going to taste pretty similar to one of the existing 100. Even if I was able to use 20 different ham types for my sandwich, all the added flavours would begin to blend into each other, or would be there in such small quantities so as not to affect the flavour in any meaningful way.

4e decided to have fewer, more distinct types of ham. And by only combining two (one with a taste of the other), each type you have on the sandwich adds significantly to the flavour.

...

I'm hungry.

Graham|ve4grm said...

Oh, and just as a question.

What would you say is required to make someone a "rogue".

Now, forget class names here. Why does someone need to have the Rogue class to be a Rogue? Was the 3.5e Ninja not rogue-ish? Even the Bard was pretty rogue-y.

What is required to be a rogue? And why does it matter if you have the class title in the first place?

jonathan said...

i<3Motivationals. ROFLMAO. I've linked these to _many_ of my nerd peeps. ty!

dye stains said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.